Thursday, June 10, 2010

Residential Life with Summer Scholars

As I heaved my suitcase from the trunk of the car my mind was racing. What would it be like? What kinds of people would be there? Will the food be good? Who would be my roommates? The only thing I did not question was whether or not I would have a good time. For some odd reason I was positive the residence life with the Summer Scholars would be worth while, and I was proved right. Within the first half hour, I met awesome people. These friends ended up being the reason why our time at the UNO dorms was a blast!

The ropes challenges were a fast and efficient way to get to know and trust out fellow summer scholars. It was like diving straight into a cold swimming pool instead of easing our way in (although not as painful!). My group of six completed the courses in record time, each course forcing us to rely on each other mentally and physically. We encouraged each other through the hard times and celebrated each completed course. As a result, towards the end, I felt as close to them as I did my lifelong friends.

Another factor that was a major contributor to the success of the residence life was the amazing RTA’s. They treated us with the respect of actually college students, not just kids they had to babysit. In exchange for their respect, we felt obligated to return the favor. They participated in and organized some really fun activities, such as water balloon fights, movie nights, and volleyball tournaments. My RTS’s help during study group has allowed me to feel more comfortable being in a college class environment. Overall, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything; it was a fantastic way to jump start the Summer Scholars program and my summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment