Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My First Week as a College Student

As I sit in the front row of my Intro to Native American class, I look around at the white, bare walls. A simple desk sits at the front of the room with a computer and an overhead. There is something strange about this room. Then it finally hits me. It’s the lack of color. There are no posters motivating me with quirky quotes. Nor are there posters reminding me what the six traits of writing are. This room seems completely vacant to me, regardless of all the older people filing in through the door. These people range anywhere from 17- 40 years in age. Some of them could be my parents. I’m glad I chose a front seat, maybe if I don’t have to see them I won’t feel so intimidated speaking in class. We all sit in silence until a beautiful Native American woman walks in with a bright and welcoming smile. She is professor Rocha, and she has the most calming and capturing voice I have ever heard. I know I’m going to like her.

As overwhelming as the first day of class was, I have grown to love it. I don’t love the complicated, contradictory readings or the work. However, class itself is filled with intriguing discussions and stories told by professor Rocha that seem to entrance everyone. We discuss issues about ethics and philosophy that would never have been brought up in another situation. It is very difficult to be bored or without personal opinions to bring forth. Unlike high school, I walk out of the classroom everyday knowing that I have learned something new.

The other half of my day is filled with either College 101 or study groups with our RTAs. Both play a major role in my success during these 5 weeks, and even college life beyond. College 101 focuses on preparing students for college, including preparing resumes, college entry essays, scholarships searches, and applications. This is a class I believe should be available at any high school. I hope this takes stress off from my upcoming senior year. Study groups are small groups with other summer scholars in the same class and our RTA. It is a great way to review and attempt to engrave into our brain all the information gone over in Native American Studies. Being able to bounce ideas or questions with my other peers or RTA is a comforting feeling. I’m not alone here. My RTA has been very helpful throughout the whole process, I could not have asked for anybody better.

Everything I’ve heard about college being the best years of your life has lived up to its reputation, and this is only a glimpse. Overall my college experience has been wonderful. Even thought parking may be a challenge sometimes, I love going to class every morning. Something even more impressive is the number of amazing people that I have met, moreover, the number of motivated and successful people that I feel proud to call my friends. The only thing that I can hope for now is that my senior year of high school goes by fast so that I can enjoy college full throttle.

No comments:

Post a Comment